Timaru abduction: Police interview man
Police are speaking with a Timaru man they believe could be connected with the suspected abduction and assault of a 9-year-old boy last week.
Police have taken the man to Timaru station to be interviewed, Mid-South Canterbury area commander Inspector Dave Gaskin said tonight.
The man was not under arrest, Gaskin said.
The "young man" was acquainted with the child but was not a relative, he said.
Gaskin declined to provide the man's age and other details.
Investigators did speak with the boy again today, but he provided only a small amount of information, Gaskin said.
Police pieced together details provided by members of the public, both in Timaru and in the rural area along Holme Station Rd where the boy was found.
Gaskin thanked members of the public who had come forward to assist with the investigation.
''Though those small details in themselves didn't mean a great deal, when the investigative team was able to analyse it all, it painted a fairly clear picture,'' he said.
Investigators would likely continue talk with the boy, but no further formal interviews are planned.
Gaskin also thanked investigators who have ''worked long hours doing tedious work'' to piece together elements of the case.
The boy tonight remained in Timaru Hospital in a stable condition, with injuries to his mouth and jaw.
He was found at Holme Station Bridge at 4.20pm on Thursday, after leaving Oceanview Heights School in Selwyn St about 3pm.
The Timaru Herald