Fire chief's rental home burned out

Last updated 05:00 29/11/2012
Barry Gibson

RAZED: Fire safety office Barry Gibson of Dunedin, inspects Omakau fire chief Sam Leask’s house, which was gutted by a fire on Tuesday night.

Relevant offers


Youth sets fire to three ATMs in Whanganui 'Well dressed burglar' with receding hairline captured Brave two-year-old Vita Ede's beanies raise thousands for charity Christmas tree lights up Hamilton's Garden Place Andrew Little to unveil Labour's shadow Cabinet Seagull sparks new blaze in Marlborough Two earthquakes shake Southland Prime Minister John Key defends 'green' credentials ahead of major summit Suspicious house fire in Turangi Waikakaho Valley family saw flames from their window

A devastating fire can strike anywhere, even at a chief fire officer's house.

That was just what happened to Omakau fire chief Sam Leask on Tuesday night after a farm house on his property caught fire and was destroyed.

Mr Leask had been at home when he heard the fire siren go off and after running outside he could see the fire was at his rental property next door. "I just couldn't believe it."

He rushed to the property to find the fire "going end to end" before firefighters arrived.

"There was a tremendous amount of heat coming out, everything was burning at once," Mr Leask said.

His first fear was that the family who rented the property were home but after finding their vehicle missing he was relieved to discover they were away for the night. Ken Lake, who had lived at the house for five years, had been working in the Maniototo at the time of the fire.

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content