Fire double blow for quake refugee

Last updated 15:10 23/12/2012
Robinson Street, Ashburton
SHEREE THOMPSON

EXPLOSIONS HEARD: Six fire engines are at the scene of a commercial building fire in Robinson Street, Ashburton.

Relevant offers

National

Colin Craig ruled to have defamed Jordan Williams Residents at odds as replanted pohutukawa ripped out on coastal street Residents claim kids played in P-contaminated goods dumped on Wainuiomata lawn Public say Pukekura Park's $73,000 signs are unreadable Bidding war pushes modest Island Bay beach bungalow close to $1m - $315k over RV Live by the sword, die by the sword - Colin Craig's life lesson Cat suffers horrific injuries in school holiday slug gun attack Massey, history, and memory: Why we honour flawed heroes Massey aimed to protect 'lost tribes of Israel' with racist policies, academic says Waikato crash brings down power lines

An explosive fire destroyed two Ashburton business last night, one belonging to a former Christchurch business-owner and quake refugee.

Crews were called to an industrial site on Range St about 6pm to find Lignotech and its neighbour Advanced Upholstery ablaze and flames threatening New Zealand Couriers.

Ashburton chief fire officer Alan Burgess said there was still a lot of work to be done on the site.

The structures were so badly damaged it would be hard work to work out the cause of the fire, he said. "They are completely destroyed.''

New Zealand Couriers has some water damage, however, was able to rescue ''well in excess of 90 per cent'' of stock, Burgess said.

Advanced Upholstery is owned by former Cantabrians Sue and Brian Stockdale, who used to run an upholstery business on Cashel St.

The three business were housed in one large structure that spans between Robinson and Range streets.
Burgess said it appeared the fire began in the most southerly business and spread from one to the next.

It took six fire engines manned by crews from Ashburton, Rakia and Methven until about 11pm to bring the blaze under control.

An Ashburton fire watch house spokesperson said one of the businesses had gas cylinders it used for welding inside the building at the time and they caused explosions at the scene.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content