Family thankful for boaties' rescue

Last updated 19:14 11/02/2013

Relevant offers

National

Search for missing woman Kim Bambus continues at Mercer Bay loop Treaty Minister: Eight years on and 'not a hope' of iwi settlement before the election School doubles in size after curriculum change brings learning into 21st century Wellington craft beer bar Little Beer Quarter damaged by fire Jamie Te Hiko found guilty of partner's murder Four people injured after three-car crash in West Auckland South Auckland youths challenge stereotypes Crown's demerit points driving suspension arguments driven home Hunter Valley access: door still open but workable solutions needed Afternoon trivia quiz: March 28

The family of two men who were lost at sea for almost 24-hours are grateful the pair are home and safe.

Michael Ward, 72, and his son, 23-year-old John Ward had been due back at Mill Bay, Mangonui at 9pm last night, after setting out on a fishing trip in a 4.8-metre aluminium pontoon boat about 2pm yesterday.

Family alerted police when the men failed to return, and the Whangaroa Coastguard boat left Whangaroa Harbour about midnight to begin a coastline search.

The ship located the two men in their boat drifting 1.6 nautical miles offshore, northeast of the Tekura Rocks, at about 1.30pm, police said.

Nuu Ward, the wife of Michael, said it was a relief.

"They are home safe and we are indeed grateful to all the rescue people for their help."

Police said it appeared that the boat's outboard motor had broken down.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content