Family thankful for boaties' rescue

Last updated 19:14 11/02/2013

Relevant offers

National

Assaulted Manawatu referee back on the field Gun manufacture target of stop-go murder trial Wellington's mayoral candidates reveal where they stand on light rail for the capital Jailed for assaulting two women on Monday, bailed until appeal on Thursday Porirua police station 'temporarily' shut at weekends and no reopening date planned Investigation launched as Hastings council accused of withholding gastro information Woman dead after fire in Feilding Marlborough Taxis co-owner Jim Watson talks Blenheim issues ahead of Marlborough District Council elections Police searching for Te Awamutu TAB counter jumper University of Otago scientists design world first colorectal cancer vaccine

The family of two men who were lost at sea for almost 24-hours are grateful the pair are home and safe.

Michael Ward, 72, and his son, 23-year-old John Ward had been due back at Mill Bay, Mangonui at 9pm last night, after setting out on a fishing trip in a 4.8-metre aluminium pontoon boat about 2pm yesterday.

Family alerted police when the men failed to return, and the Whangaroa Coastguard boat left Whangaroa Harbour about midnight to begin a coastline search.

The ship located the two men in their boat drifting 1.6 nautical miles offshore, northeast of the Tekura Rocks, at about 1.30pm, police said.

Nuu Ward, the wife of Michael, said it was a relief.

"They are home safe and we are indeed grateful to all the rescue people for their help."

Police said it appeared that the boat's outboard motor had broken down.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content