Chemical fumes close Auckland school

Last updated 12:43 11/02/2013

Relevant offers


Auckland firefighters tackle toxic chemical blaze Auckland Zoo releases 300th kiwi Horse fall victim named as Levin woman Motorhome hits Auckland motorway overbridge Man found dead in Hamilton was face down in goldfish pond One dead in motorcycle crash near Kawhia El Nino set to scorch Nelson Motorcyclist killed in Henderson crash Tongan fans in full voice for match against All Blacks South Auckland shopkeepers want parents punished for children's crimes

An Auckland primary school has been evacuated and a man has been decontaminated after two pool chemicals reacted badly when mixed together today.

Fire Service spokeswoman Tania Matthews said they were called to Hillpark Primary School, in Manurewa, at 10.17am by St John ambulance staff who treated a man who was "overcome" when he breathed in the fumes.

Matthews said the man was decontaminated at the school in Grande Vue Rd.   

She said the school had been evacuated and fans were being used to clear the fumes.

It was not known when the children would be allowed to return to the school, but Matthews said shortly after midday that firefighters would remain at the scene for some time. 

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content