Stewart Murray Wilson recalled to prison

BLAIR ENSOR
Last updated 00:30 22/02/2013
BACK BEHIND BARS: Stewart Murray Wilson has been recalled to prison after allegedly breaching his parole conditions.
BACK BEHIND BARS: Stewart Murray Wilson has been recalled to prison after allegedly breaching his parole conditions.

Related Links

Beast of Blenheim challenges release conditions SPCA 'disgusted' Beast of Blenheim allowed pets Beast of Blenheim to be Turia's neighbour Beast of Blenheim legal case adjourned Beast of Blenheim 'apprehensive' about leaving jail No scooter for Beast of Blenheim 'Beast' wanted to go to opera

Relevant offers

National

Auckland pre-school teacher charged with force-feeding children, washing their mouths out with soap Former Zimbabwe secret police officer leaves New Zealand Coastguard rescue fishermen from upturned boat after 11-hour ordeal 81-year-old unfit to plead to careless driving causing death charge Tax agent fraudster loses name suppression Wintry blast follows night of damage from strong winds across lower North Island Vulnerable children even more at risk during school holidays Kiwi art installation of Donald Trump seeks to raise funds for asylum seekers Power lines felled and trampolines fly in South Taranaki's night of wild weather Body found after fire rips through home in Waikato

Sexual predator Stewart Murray Wilson has been recalled to prison after he allegedly phoned a woman he had already been warned not to contact.

A source has confirmed that the woman was not a family member or one of his victims.

Wilson - dubbed the Beast of Blenheim - was back behind bars at Whanganui Prison last night after the Corrections Department successfully applied to the Parole Board for an interim recall.

A third party had alerted Corrections to the phone call.

Corrections' application was upheld by the board yesterday. The board will consider a final order, which would keep Wilson behind bars, at a hearing before the end of March.

Lawyer Andrew McKenzie said last night he was surprised to hear his client was back behind bars.

"I don't think they'll win the recall. They [Corrections] have to prove some level of risk. If it was just contacting someone [on the phone], it's difficult to see where any element of risk would come from. He's in Whanganui Prison - he can't go and meet her, and she can't go and meet him.

"I just think this is Corrections talking tough and acting tough."

Corrections assistant general manager Maria McDonald said last night that the department would "pursue legal action relating to this alleged breach through the courts".

"Corrections has been vigilantly monitoring this offender's compliance with his parole conditions and immediately made the application after it received information that led it to believe he had breached his parole conditions."

Wilson was jailed for 21 years in 1996 after being convicted of 22 sex charges against women and children between 1971 and 1994. He was freed on August 29 and has been living in a relocated home near Whanganui Prison.

One of his victims, who has name suppression, was happy last night to hear her ex-partner was back in jail.

"He should never have been let out in the first place. He's getting his just deserts."

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content