Christchurch man arrested following serious assault

Police investigate the scene of a serious assault in Christchurch's New Brighton Mall.
John Kirk-Anderson/Fairfax NZ

Police investigate the scene of a serious assault in Christchurch's New Brighton Mall.

A man has been arrested following a alleged assault on an elderly man in Christchurch.

Police said the 19-year-old Christchurch man was due to appear in Christchurch District Court Thursday on assault charges.

The alleged assault happened at New Brighton Mall early morning on Wednesday.

Detective Sergeant Colin Baillie said police were not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident.

"The 72-year-old victim was taken to Christchurch Hospital in the early hours of this morning where he remains in a serious but stable condition," he said. 

"Police would like to thank the community and shop owners for their patience while a cordon was in place to allow officers to complete a scene examination." 

A St John spokesman said paramedics were called to Brighton Mall in New Brighton at 1.53am on Wednesday after a man was found on the footpath in a serious condition.

It did not appear the man had been robbed or assaulted with a weapon, police said.

Brighton Mall was closed to traffic and a team of investigators were in the area on Wednesday morning. 

Small orange cones were placed on the footpath near an ATM machine outside The 123 Mart. A pool of blood, an orange cigarette lighter and two coins could be seen in the area.

Ad Feedback

A woman burst into tears at the edge of the cordon while talking to someone on her mobile phone. She was escorted away by police and spoken to by a detective.

Officers were seen searching rubbish bins and bushes inside the cordon and were expected to gather CCTV footage from nearby businesses later in the day. 

Residents and people who work in the area said Brighton Mall was not a safe place to be at night.

A store manager, who would not be named for fear of reprisal, said police needed to increase foot patrols in the area.

"You see enough unsavoury people during the day time let alone coming back here in the dark," he said.

"When an incident like this happens . . . you see a police presence for a day or two and then it dies."

The man said police were often slow to respond to reports of trouble in the area, which was predominantly caused by youth.

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback