Travel advisory on Chch still in place

19:48, Jul 19 2012

A travel advisory warning Australians to exercise a "high degree of caution" when visiting Christchurch has not been changed, even though yesterday was said to be the date of the review.

Christchurch & Canterbury Tourism chief executive Tim Hunter said the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) reviewed travel advisories every three months and that the controversial warning for Christchurch was due for review yesterday.

A Foreign Affairs and Trade Ministry spokeswoman also confirmed the advisory was under review.

However, at the time The Press went to print last night the warning, on smartraveller.gov.au, still told Australians to "pay close attention to your personal security at all times" when in Christchurch and Lyttelton.

Hunter confirmed a DFAT official had made a trip to Christchurch, which had provided them with a good opportunity to "reinforce what is being done to keep both local and visitors out of harm's way from aftershock activity."

"We have made recommendations to DFAT to replace the . . . warning on their website

He said since then he had not had any response from DFAT.

Advertisement

The Press