Fate of one-way streets undecided
The "jury is still out" on whether one-way streets will be part of Christchurch's new city centre, but a decision is due in the next month.
The Christchurch Central Development Unit (CCDU) must deliver a transportation plan to Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee by November 5. A decision on the one-way streets will be part of that.
In an interview with The Press today, CCDU director Warwick Isaacs talks about the unit's priorities for its second 100 days.
It had been working "quite hard" on the transport plan, he said, meeting up to three times a week with the Christchurch City Council, Environment Canterbury and NZ Transport Agency.
"The jury is still out [on whether the one-ways will stay]. They're still working on it," he said.
The plan will include a public transport network, better pedestrian access to the central city and cycleways.
Cathedral Square is likely to be closed to traffic, Isaacs said.
- The Press
Have you had a ticket in the last five years?Related story: Canterbury speed camera use rises sharply