A Kaiapoi man has pleaded guilty to murdering a woman in a stabbing at a Burwood house, but suppression orders continue to surround the case.
The name of the 29-year-old farmhand and the woman he has admitted murdering on July 11 still cannot be published, and those orders will be reconsidered at his sentencing in the High Court in Christchurch on November 22.
The man's defence counsel, Tony Greig, told the court: "The police, on behalf of the victim, have supported the suppression up until now as a protective measure for her 3-year-old daughter."
The suppressions granted today applied only to the names of the man and the victim, rather than a ban on publication of the background of details of the case, which had been imposed at the man's first court appearances.
He has undergone a psychiatric examination while he has been in custody since his arrest.
Greig told the court at an earlier appearance that the report "did not advance matters".
No police summary of facts was read at today's hearing, but paperwork at the court indicates the woman died in a stabbing.
The man remains in custody, and the judge has ordered that a pre-sentence report be prepared for the High Court sentencing.
A large number of family members and friends were at the court to see the man enter the guilty plea, but they declined a request to speak to the media afterwards.
- The Press
Should residents do more to help maintain the city's parks and reserves?Related story: Christchurch citizens to mow parks?