A jury will consider its four verdicts tomorrow in the case of a fisherman accused of sex offending in three incidents involving three men.
The trial of the 37-year-old man, who has name suppression, began on Monday last week before Judge Alistair Garland and a Christchurch District Court jury.
The jury heard closing addresses by both counsel today and the judge summed up before sending the jury home soon after 5pm.
Prosecutor Kathy Basire said the accused's accounts of the three incidents were "implausible", but defence counsel Rupert Glover said the jury should prefer the man's account because it was more believable than the Crown evidence.
The Crown alleges the man attacked and tried to sexually assault a man on a fishing boat at sea.
He is also charged with sexual violation ofanother man who accepted a ride with him after a night drinking in Christchurch.
The third incident involved a complaint by a man about an alleged incident in New Brighton.
Glover asked the jury to take a commonsense approach. Each of the three incidents contained two irreconcilable stories.
The fishing boat complainant had delayed the boat's departure from Westport because he was drunk and had been drinking before the incident, he said.
The accused claimed the complainant slipped and fell and there was struggle in the boat's wheelhouse.
While that was happening, the accused had to take evasive action urgently, to avoid a collision with another vessel, and punched the complainant when he approached him again with an arm straight out at him.
Glover said his client believed there had been consent and an invitation for the sexual activity with the man who accepted a ride in his car.
He said the alleged incident in a New Brighton toilet had involved the accused declining to consent to an unwelcome sexual advance from a prostitute.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you travel by bus in Christchurch?Related story: More bus shelters needed in Christchurch