Provincial Chambers repairs continue
Provincial Chambers' future to be decidedCHARLIE GATES
One of the most important heritage buildings in Canterbury has been largely stabilised and weatherproofed.
The Provincial Chambers complex of historic buildings on the corner of Armagh St and Durham St was badly damaged in the February 2011 earthquake, with the stone chamber and one of the stone towers collapsing.
The Christchurch City Council has been working since the February quake to stabilise and weatherproof the building and hopes to complete the work early next year.
The stone chamber has been partially deconstructed and a temporary roof installed to make it weatherproof, while the two stone towers have been deconstructed and encased in weatherproof structures.
Chimneys have been removed, walls braced with steel frames and some walls deconstructed.
Council staff will present options for the building to councillors next year for a decision on whether to fully restore the historic complex.
The gothic revival buildings were designed by Benjamin Mountfort and built between 1858 and 1865. They are the only surviving provincial government buildings in New Zealand.
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled