Man's attacker still at large

03:17, Dec 12 2012

An attacker who left a 22-year-old man with a fractured skull and brain injuries is still on the loose.

The victim, who did not want to be named, has spoken for the first time of the attack, which he has described as "senseless".

He said he had exited a taxi with his sister and her partner outside the couple's Linwood property on Cashel St when they were approached by a group of four men and two women.

One of the men then grabbed his sister on the bottom, he said.

He remembered hearing his sister say, "don't touch me".

"We would've turned around and said something like, 'what'd you do that for?' I don't remember what we said."


But what happened from there was all a blur, he said.

"It all happened so fast."

Detective Sergeant Mark Reid said the offender punched the sister's partner in the face twice, knocking him to the ground. 

Reid said her brother then stepped in to protect her partner and was punched in the face two or three times before falling backwards, unconscious, and struck his head on the concrete.

As a result, he suffered a fractured skull and brain bleed and was admitted to intensive care at Christchurch Hospital.

He had recently been discharged but has been left with a constant throbbing in the right side of his head, and a loss of hearing in his left ear caused by a blockage.

However, he was positive about his recovery, saying he now felt "pretty all right" and could not wait to get back to work, and behind the wheel of a car again.

"I'm just trying to get on with things rather than dwell on it," he said.

He was more concerned that if the man was not caught he would injure someone else.

"He must've done it before," he said.

"If they [the police] find him I'll be happy. He shouldn't get away with it. It's senseless, we didn't antagonise anyone. I hope he gets put behind bars for a wee while.

"He said his sister and her partner had since left the Cashel St flat scared the man, and the group, would return.

Reid described the attack as "vicious", "unprovoked" and "cowardly".

Anyone with information, or who saw the incident, which occurred about 2am on November 25, is asked to contact Reid on 363 7400.

To provide information anonymously contact Crimestopppers on 0800 555 111.

The offender is described as Maori, aged in his early 20s, of medium to stocky build, and approximately 1.7 metres tall.

He was wearing a black hoodie and black cap and was believed to have left the scene on foot with his associates.

The Press