BREAKING NEWS
John Banks does not apply for discharge without conviction ... Read more
Close

Ham on fire raises alarm

Last updated 10:11 25/12/2012
christmas ham
SCOTT HAMMOND/ Fairfax MZ
CHRISTMAS HAM: Christchurch firefighters were called to a ham on fire.

Relevant offers

Firefighters were called to a Christchurch house this morning after a Christmas ham breakfast went awry.

Southern Communications shift manager Andrew Norris said firefighters were called to a Manhire St, Sydenham, house where the occupants had overcooked their Christmas breakfast of ham and bacon.

The ham, in the oven, was badly burnt and the house was filled with smoke, he said.

The smoke had set off the monitored smoke alarm.

Addington firefighters arrived at the house about 9.15am.

A firefighter said the occupants had the situation under control but were grateful for the crew's attendance.

"The ham is still salvageable and can be eaten for lunch," Norris said.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

The lower drink-driving limits from December are:

Great - too much carnage on our roads.

Overkill - targets moderate drinkers, not the heavies

Still too little - make it zero tolerance.

Sensible - punishment is in line with lesser breaches of limit.

Vote Result

Related story: Drink-drive limits lowered

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Then and Now