One person has suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a Rangiora flat.
Fire and ambulance crews were alerted to the fire just after 5.30pm today and are still at the scene.
Fire Service shift manager Karl Patterson said the Charles St flat was ''well ablaze'' when crews arrived, but the fire had been contained to a single flat.
One person was being treated for smoke inhalation by ambulance crews, he said.
Fire crews from Rangiora, Woodend and Kaiapoi are at the fire.
The property was attached to another house, Patterson said.
- The Press
Two dead while the washing hung on the line (graphic content)
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled