The accused in a kidnapping and rape trial told jurors today he was shocked to face charges over his one homosexual experience.
Christopher Michael Robb, 44, said at his trial in the High Court at Christchurch he had denied being homosexual when interviewed by the police.
He had allegedly driven a drunken teenager from central Christchurch to a rural road near Darfield where he tied him up and raped him in May 2005.
''I was in shock to be charged with something so horrible,'' the artist said as he gave evidence on the second day of his trial before Justice Whata and a jury.
The complainant who was 18 at the time of the alleged attack, said he was picked up by a stranger in central Christchurch and driven to a rural road where the sex attack took place.
But Robb said he had been waiting to meet someone after midnight on May 7, near Latimer Square, when he was approached by the youth. After a discussion, they went to a car park in Gloucester St where they had consensual sex.
Afterwards, the youth had asked for money and he had pulled him out of the car and driven off.
He denied any involvement in any later incident near Darfield.
Crown prosecutor Claire Boshier accused Robb of making up the story about the consensual sexual encounter after he knew that the police were on to him, and DNA evidence taken from the victim had identified him.
Robb told the court that the homosexual encounter ''just felt wrong'' and he felt ''gross'' afterwards when reality kicked in.
Robb denies charges of unlawfully detaining the youth, sexually violating him with his finger and with oral sex, and anal rape, indecently assaulting him, and stealing his wallet.
All evidence in the trial has now been completed and the counsel will deliver their closing addresses from 10am tomorrow before the judge sums up and the jury retires to consider its verdicts.
- The Press
Would you consider using your retirement savings to buy a home?Related story: Retirement savings used for first home