Fire's sparks claim farm shed

NICOLE MATHEWSON
Last updated 14:52 26/07/2013

Relevant offers

A hay shed has been destroyed on a rural Canterbury farm after an unexpected gust of wind spread sparks from a nearby rubbish fire.

The fire on Bangor Rd, near Hororata in Selwyn, was reported to emergency services about 1.40pm today.

Landowner Bernard Duncan said the fire was quickly brought under control by firefighters, but it had burned through a farm shed used for storing hay.

The blaze was believed to have spread from a small rubbish fire nearby.

A gust of wind had blown sparks from the rubbish fire and "ended up in the shed", he said.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Have you seen rats on your property?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: Does Christchurch have a rat problem?

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Then and Now