Fireworks warning for revelers
Revelers are being urged to be careful when using fireworks after they sparked several fires in the South Island.
Nine fireworks related fires were reported in the South Island overnight, a Fire Service spokesman said.
There were several call outs where fireworks "hadn't been used in a correct fashion" and had been identified as the cause of a fire, he said.
The majority of those fires were caused by fireworks that had tipped over and exploded outwards instead of upwards, he said.
There were no reports of firework related injuries, a St John spokeswoman said.
A total of 26 fireworks related fires were reported across the country.
The sale of fireworks, which started yesterday, ends on Guy Fawkes Day on Tuesday.
Sales were restricted after a high number of fires and serious injuries to people and pets a few years ago.
However, imports of fireworks are up 30 per cent from last year, Pyro Company Fireworks managing director Len Julian said.
The weather is looking fine for Guy Fawkes Day, with a expected high of 22 degrees Celsius, according to the MetService.
This year's annual public display at New Brighton on Tuesday, run by the Christchurch City Council and Treetech, will go off with a bang at 9pm to James Bond theme songs.
- The Press
Have you seen rats on your property?Related story: Does Christchurch have a rat problem?