CTV site to be tidied up
He may have put his foot down over a temporary memorial, but Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee has agreed to make the Canterbury Television (CTV) site presentable.
Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel spoke with Brownlee on Friday about tidying up the ''disgraceful'' Madras St site in time for the third anniversary of the February 2011 quake.
Dalziel was concerned families coming from overseas to mark the anniversary would find its current state disrespectful. She at least wants the fencing removed and some landscaping done.
Brownlee's press secretary Nick Bryant said today Brownlee had ''no difficulty'' with the idea.
''They are both on the same page," Bryant said.
Bryant said a work plan was already being formulated by Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority staff. It would involve Christchurch City Council.
''The plan is in progress, but we've got nothing finalised to share at this stage,'' a Cera spokeswoman said.
Families of the 115 people killed in the CTV building collapse would be kept ''in dialogue'' about plans for the site, she said.
Brownlee last week ruled out placing a temporary memorial on the CTV site, despite the idea having city councillors' support.
Christchurch City Councillors had that day pledged to support a request from widower Maan Alkaisi for a temporary memorial on the CTV site.
His wife Maysoon Abbas was killed in the building collapse.
Hours later, Brownlee told a media briefing he would not allow a temporary memorial on the CTV site. There were enough temporary structures in the city and it was important to have a single memorial for all quake victims elsewhere, he said.
- The Press
Would you use a salt water pool at New Brighton?Related story: Hot salt-water pool preferred for New Brighton