A large scrub fire on the Lyttelton side of Godley Head was started by boy racers letting off fireworks, the fire service believes.
The fire, which covered about six hectares of tussock, started early yesterday morning and was reported by a caretaker at 7am.
The fire was controlled during the day but flared up again, prompting the fire service to call in monsoon buckets late yesterday.
A Fire Service spokesman boy racers letting off fireworks had apparently started the fire on Department of Conservation land above Mechanics Bay, an area of "unstable terrain".
DOC was "very disappointed" that the fire appeared to have been started by fireworks, he said.
"It has put firefighters in extremely dangerous positions."
Firefighters would remain at the scene today to dampen down hotspots.
- The Press
Should residents do more to help maintain the city's parks and reserves?Related story: Christchurch citizens to mow parks?