Darfield boil water notice lifted
SARAH-JANE O'CONNOR AND CHARLIE GATES
The boil water notice that has been a "bloody nuisance" for Darfield business owners and residents has been lifted.
The precautionary notice was put in place on December 28 when a sample showed traces of E. coli bacteria. All tests since then have been clear.
Selwyn District Council team leader water services Andy Olivier said there were a number of possible reasons why a positive result was returned, including lab error or sample contamination.
Darfield Motel owner Barry Harvey said the boil water notice had been disruptive.
"It is a bloody nuisance. We immediately put warnings in all our hotel rooms," he said.
"It is quite painful. We can't do much except tell people to boil their water. It has been an ongoing problem out here."
Manager of The Terrace wine bar and restaurant in Darfield, George Ridgen, said it had been tough to keep service running.
"It has been hard trying to cook things and prepare food . . . but we have managed," he said.
"It has been very tricky as we can't even offer cold water. People were asking: 'Where's the water?'. We are pretty peed off that this has happened again. I don't know if I want to pay my rates."
There have been about half a dozen boil water notices in Selwyn this year.
- The Press
Is the mayor correct to put libraries, pools and community facilities ahead of the Town Hall?Related story: (See story)