Tributes for men who died in helicopter crash

Last updated 12:04 13/04/2014

Relevant offers

Friends and family of two West Coast men killed in a helicopter crash have been left shocked and in grief by their deaths. 

Helicopter enthusiasts Daryl Robert John Condon, 51, of Bruce Bay, and Neale William Gray, 54, of Hokitika, were found dead in the wreckage of a helicopter crashed in the Fish River near Haast.

The Greymouth-based NZCC Rescue Helicopter began searching for the pair on Friday after they were reported missing about 9pm, but he search was called off at midnight.

The wreckage was spotted in the Fish River, near the Gates of Haast, during another air search yesterday morning. 

Wanaka Police and Land Search and Rescue’s river rescue team accessed the remote crash site about 1pm, finding both men still in the helicopter. 

Friend Bevan Climo said the pair were helicopter enthusiasts and both owned their owned Hughes 300s.

They were ‘‘born and bred Coasters’’, who were both well-known and popular. 

Gray ran a mechanics workshop in Hokitika and been flying for several years, while Condon had recently qualified as a pilot.

‘‘It doesn’t make sense because [Gray] was a very careful pilot.  I’m still getting over the shock,’’ Climo said. 

Others took to social media to pay tribute to the men this weekend, including friend Shelley Scott, who said she had ‘‘so many emotions’’ and was ‘‘sending all our love and strength to those who need it’’.

‘‘RIP good friends! Such a good feeling flying from a to b ... Don’t let sadness and loss tain the love of flying in helicopters,’’ she wrote. 

William Wilson said it was a ‘‘sad day for South Westland’’. 

Condon's family in Bruce Bay said they were processing the news. The case had been referred to the coroner and the Civil Aviation Authority. 

Police said the helicopter wreckage would be stored in Wanaka pending investigation. 

CAA spokesman Mike Richards said the authority extended its ‘‘sincere condolence’’ to the family and friends of the two victims. 

The Hughes 300 two-seater helicopter was flying from Wanaka to the West Coast when the crash happened.

Richards said it appeared the helicopter had descended through the tree canopy before crashing into the river close to the road, but in a particularly difficult spot to access. 

The men’s bodies and the crashed helicopter were recovered by the local search and rescue team’s Squirrel helicopter – a highly manoeuvrable and versatile type of helicopter used by emergency services around the world. 

Ad Feedback

Police divers were also needed to secure a winch from the Squirrel to the submerged helicopter wreckage.

The CAA decided to move the wreckage to a secure hanger in Wanaka to allow a close inspection of the mechanical and electrical aspects of the aircraft, he said.

‘‘The conditions were not suitable for an on-site inspection due to the steep embankment and rapidly deteriorating weather conditions.’’

Extensive photographs were also taken at the crash site and would form part of the CAA investigation, which would begin when two investigators arrived in Wanaka tomorrow morning.

- The Press


Special offers
Opinion poll

Which memorial design do you like most?

Memorial Wall with a reflective pond

Table and Chairs

A Green and Peaceful Landscape

Call and Response

Riverside Promenade

A Curved and Inclusive Memorial Wall

Vote Result

Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Then and Now