Red-zoners get more time to mull over buyouts

GEORGINA STYLIANOU
Last updated 14:12 31/07/2014
Roger Sutton
Dean Kozanic/Fairfax NZ
EXTENSION GRANTED: Cera chief executive Roger Sutton today announced that homeowners want more time to consider the buyout offer.

Related Links

Quake Outcasts battle over zoning

Relevant offers

Christchurch Earthquake 2011

CTV engineer fails to stop release of disciplinary findings Cera set to hand over safety reins TV series shows Christchurch as it is Most important earthquake book so far? Bars bring vibrancy back to city Supreme Court decision a win for quake claimants Interest sought for Town Hall rebuild Quake fund to help community hall reopen Brownlee backtracks after calling claimants 'grumpy' Daggy sheep plan for red zone roasted

Red-zoned homeowners in the Port Hills have received a six-month extension on the Crown's offer to purchase their homes. 

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) chief executive Roger Sutton today announced that homeowners wanted more time to consider the buyout offer. 

''There are a number of evolving issues to consider and they would appreciate more time," he said. 

Insurance issues were still being worked through and some matters were before court, Sutton said. 

''Some property owners in the Port Hills red zone are also awaiting more information from Christchurch City Council on issues like mass land movement."

The deadline has been extended from August 31 this year to February 27 next year. Of the 475 insured residential red-zone homeowners in the Port Hills that received an offer, 132 are yet to accept it.

No offer has yet been made to the owners of uninsured, commercial or vacant land sites in the Port Hills red zone.

The Quake Outcasts, made up of owners of vacant and uninsured red-zoned flat land, have taken their plight to the Supreme Court to challenge the Government's red-zoning programme and demand full buyout offers on their land.

The outcome of the case could affect what Cera chooses to offer Port Hills owners.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the Canterbury Provincial Council buildings be restored?

Yes, they are NZ's best example of high Victorian gothic revival architecture.

Only if the cost can be brought down.

No, $70 million could be used for more important things.

Vote Result

Related story: Provincial chambers repair bill $70m

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content