Supermarket opens in Rolleston

MICHAEL WRIGHT
Last updated 05:00 30/11/2011
supermarket
Joseph Johnson

STOCKING UP: Eva Larovere stocks the shelves at Countdown Rolleston supermarket for its opening tomorrow.

Relevant offers

Christchurch Earthquake 2011

Recovery team recognise the good Samaritans of Kaikoura who helped after the earthquake Police decide against charges over Southern Ink and Riccarton Rd earthquake deaths Man to create near-perfect replica of Christchurch heritage house Steve Hansen pays tribute to the late Sir Ron Scott Family support memorial for nurses lost in Christchurch earthquake Shortland Street quake show should have carried a warning, say traumatised viewers Christchurch quake rescuer Bill Toomey wins fight for ACC cover for post-traumatic stress Study into 'lateral spreading' earthquake cracks launched Insurance Council asks Kaikoura District Council to pull video from its Facebook page Tower Insurance chairman Michael Stiassny expresses frustration at claims holdouts

The Christchurch area's stock of supermarkets is on the way up, but it will be many months before it returns to pre-earthquake levels.

Rolleston Countdown opens today, the second new supermarket to open in the greater Christchurch area since the February 22 quake.

Progressive Enterprises general manager operations Brett Ashley said the new store was based on a more modern concept than most supermarkets.

"We've made the store more energy efficient. We're using natural light inside and we've got the latest hybrid carbon dioxide refrigeration system," he said.

One hundred of the store's 130 staff are new employees.

Rangiora Countdown was due to open by February, Ashley said, but the future of the quake-damaged Ferrymead Countdown was less certain.

After the reopening of Countdown stores in the Eastgate and Palms shopping centres, the Ferrymead store was the only remaining closure. The building was confirmed for demolition in September.

No date had been set for its removal, but it was hoped a new store would open on the site by the end of next year, Ashley said.

The company was "actively looking" for more opportunities in Christchurch, he said.

The other big supermarket group, Foodstuffs, lost three stores after the quakes.

Kaiapoi New World was condemned after the September 2010 quake and the rebuilt store was due to open before Christmas.

Redcliffs New World was demolished in May with an assurance it would be rebuilt, but geotechnical tests were still being done on the site.

Foodstuffs South Island general manager property and development Roger Davidson said a resource consent application for a new store would be lodged when the work was finished.

The $20 million rebuild of St Martins New World started in July and was due to finish in the middle of next year.

The new store would be larger and include a retail area for a bank, cafe and chemist.

Staff from all three demolished supermarkets who lost their jobs after the quakes would have to reapply when the hiring started, Davidson said.

Foodstuffs also has a resource consent to build a Pak 'n Save in Lineside Rd, Rangiora.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Which memorial design do you like most?

Memorial Wall with a reflective pond

Table and Chairs

A Green and Peaceful Landscape

Call and Response

Riverside Promenade

A Curved and Inclusive Memorial Wall

Vote Result

Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content