Christchurch Earthquake 2011
Two buildings in the Terrace on the Park apartment complex will be demolished urgently, the Christchurch Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) said tonight.
Warwick Isaacs, general manager of operations, said engineering checks today revealed that two of the six buildings in the complex suffered critical structural damage in the December 23 earthquakes.
The two buildings must be demolished urgently, and the process will begin tomorrow under Section 39 of the Cera Act, he said.
The buildings subject to the order are the two six-level buildings on either side of the higher apartment blocks.
However, all buildings in the complex will eventually be demolished.
Section 39 allows for urgent demolition when buildings are identified as having damage that poses a risk of loss of life or serious injury.
Parts of Park Tce and Salisbury St will be cordoned off for several weeks as this work is completed.
Fencing will be in place tomorrow morning.
Isaacs said the Terrace on the Park complex was unoccupied, but the risk of the buildings collapsing in another aftershock will require at least four neighbours to leave their homes.
Cera engineers visited the four properties this afternoon, and left information and their contact details, he said.
The critical damage to the Terrace on the Park buildings was discovered as part of the routine checks the owners had commissioned following the December 23 earthquakes, Isaacs said.
"I just want to reiterate to other building owners in the city that the process of checking buildings after sizeable aftershocks is essential," he said.
"Even if a building has not shown indications of any serious structural damage previously, the effects of aftershocks can not be known until the buildings are checked."
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled