Rebuilding facilities attracts feedback
Christchurch Earthquake 2011
Rebuilding plans for major Christchurch facilities have attracted the most attention in next year's draft budget, the city council says.
The council's 2012-13 draft annual plan, which proposes a 7.5 per cent rates rise to help fund the city's earthquake recovery, has been open for public submissions since April 20.
Council corporate services manager Paul Anderson said the council had received 457 written submissions and expected "well over 1000" by the time submissions closed.
He said more than 400 people had attended a series of open days at Hagley Park where council staff explained the plan and took questions from the public.
The council was also holding community sessions throughout the city, he said.
The council's proposals to repair or rebuild the city's 10 major facilities, including a new sports stadium and convention centre, had attracted the most feedback.
Anderson said it was too early to identify the particular issues that had been raised about the rebuilding plans.
Submissions would be presented to councillors for consideration during the hearings and deliberations process before they approved a final plan by the end of June.
Submissions close on May 21, with public hearings from May 31 to June 8.
- The Press
Should the Canterbury Provincial Council buildings be restored?Related story: Provincial chambers repair bill $70m