Red Bus weighs up tours
Christchurch Earthquake 2011
Red Bus will decide in the next few weeks whether to run money-making red-zone tours in Christchurch.
In March, the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) sought expressions of interest in the inner-city tour service, listed as a "potential business opportunity" for private operators.
A spokeswoman said three operators had registered.
One of the three, Red Bus, was identified as the most able to provide the necessary health and safety logistics to run an operation potentially involving large numbers.
She said it was now up to Red Bus to decide whether it wanted to develop a commercial fare scheme.
Red Bus spokeswoman Nicky Halligan said the company was pleased to have been offered the tender.
"We have just begun the process of working through the options to see if we will go ahead or not," she said.
"We need to look at all our options and see whether it will make a viable commercial venture or not."
Red Bus would make an announcement in two to three weeks on whether it would proceed with the tours.
Cera's bus tours through the central-city red zone late last year were popular, with more than 28,000 people taking the weekend and evening trips over a six-week period.
That venture was taxpayer-funded and passengers were asked for gold coin contributions to cover the $220,000 operational costs.
Those contributions offset $60,000 of the taxpayers' input.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Are you happy with progress towards recovery?Related story: September 4: Three year report card