Christchurch Earthquake 2011
Residents who had to leave six Christchurch homes because of landslide risk may never be allowed back in their homes.
Those living at the affected houses in Lucas Ln, Hillsborough, had to evacuate on Tuesday night after heavy rain created the potential for a landslip behind the properties.
The Christchurch City Council yesterday placed section 124 notices on the six houses, meaning residents were prohibited from accessing their homes.
"Our geotechnical staff have been monitoring the site for the last few days and have recommended the placement of section 124 notices because of the life risk posed by the cliff," council regulation and democracy services manager Peter Mitchell said.
Two of the Lucas Ln homes were abandoned before this week's flooding, but four had still been occupied, a council spokeswoman said.
Mitchell said the council was unable to review the notices until further investigations had been completed, but the notices were likely to remain until October, when the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority was expected to announce land- zoning decisions on the currently white-zoned properties.
A review of aerial photographs indicated the presence of a historic slip on the site.
Ground investigations would be undertaken to confirm the slip and to "better understand the mechanism of this slip", he said.
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled