CTV inquest resumes next week

MARC GREENHILL
Last updated 14:09 24/10/2012
CTV
IAIN MCGREGOR/Fairfax NZ

FATALITIES: A view of the smoking wreckage of the CTV building seen from a crane after the February 2011 quake.

Relevant offers

Christchurch Earthquake 2011

Cathedral wars heating up Quakes can affect babies' progress, says expert A city treasury of visual culture Quake payout doubles Skellerup profits Shaking off my fear of quakes 6000 vulnerable quake claimants wait QEII site gets nod for $30m sports centre Videos to cheer up quake-weary Cantabrians Cathedral advocates 'appalled' at comparisons Patience needed to change an insurer's view

An inquest into the deaths in the Canterbury Television building's collapse will resume next week.

Coroner Gordon Matenga will conduct the inquest into the deaths of the 115 who died in the CTV building, with emphasis on six victims.

The inquest, which will be streamed live on on the Justice Ministry's coronial services unit website, will start in Christchurch on Monday and run for two weeks, then reconvene for a final week at the beginning of December.

Tamara Cvetanova, Jessie Redouble, Emmabelle Anoba, Ezra Medalle, Reah Sumalpong and Rika Hyuga were known to have been alive after the building collapsed, but were unable to be rescued.

"Part of what we do is establish the facts surrounding a death, and for family an inquest can answer questions and help bring a sense of closure," Matenga said. 

"Many of the 115 people who died in the collapse of the CTV building were from overseas, and it is hugely important that those who lost loved ones in the tragedy have the opportunity to have access to the inquest's proceedings, wherever they are."

It follows an inquest held last year that looked at the circumstances surrounding the deaths of all who died in the CTV building collapse.

This was adjourned in September last year, pending further investigation, but no ruling has yet been released.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the Canterbury Provincial Council buildings be restored?

Yes, they are NZ's best example of high Victorian gothic revival architecture.

Only if the cost can be brought down.

No, $70 million could be used for more important things.

Vote Result

Related story: Provincial chambers repair bill $70m

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content