Christchurch Earthquake 2011
The Government has extended the final settlement date for residential red-zone property owners by three months.
The extension will apply to property owners who would have needed to settle with the Crown and vacate the red zone by April 30, 2013.
They can now nominate a new settlement date up to July 31 next year.
The extension does not apply to Southshore, South New Brighton or Port Hills property owners.
Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee said the extension would help red-zone property owners who have struck logistical difficulties in leaving their properties.
"It is important to note this does not mean the time frame has changed for accepting the Crown offer, only the date to settle with the Crown and vacate,'' he said.
"So far, 6391 red-zoned property owners have signed sale and purchase agreements, and of those, 5212 have already settled with the Crown.
"The aim of this extension is to help those who are finding themselves in difficult situations beyond their control."
Any further extensions were unlikely as the red-zone land must be cleared of residential occupation because it could not sustain critical infrastructure, he said.
- The Press
Is it worth spending extra to repair heritage buildings?Related story: Landmark church nearly $1m short