Heritage tower demolition under way
The Square's Heritage tower will be pulled down
Christchurch Earthquake 2011
Demolition work has begun on the Heritage Hotel's earthquake-damaged tower block in central Christchurch.
The hotel decided in May that it would not repair the damaged Cathedral Square building and would sell the land after demolition work was completed.
The chairman of the body corporate, George Horsburgh, said it could take at least nine months to bring the tower down.
The historic Old Government Building next door, which is also owned by the Heritage group, had been due to reopen in mid-May, but it is now likely to open in August.
The tower's other neighbour, the Millennium Hotel, may be repaired.
This month, shareholders were told the hotel was "assessed as repairable" by engineers.
However, it would be two years before the 179-room hotel could take guests.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Are you happy with progress towards recovery?Related story: September 4: Three year report card