Quake memories raw three years on

20:19, Feb 23 2014
GENTLEMEN: Men shake hands over a slump in Oxford Terrace following the Christchurch earthquake 6.3 earthquake.
CASHEL ST MALL: Damage in the city on Cashel Street.
ON THE MOVE: An elderly woman among others fleeing collapsed buildings in central Christchurch after the 6.3 earthquake.
COLOMBO STREET: A woman escapes from a two storey building in Central Christchurch after the 6.3 Earthquake.
PGC: A woman is rescued from the collapsed PGC building following the 6.3 Christchurch Earthquake.
PGC: A woman after being rescued from the collapsed PGC building in Christchurch.
CRAMNER SQUARE: Earthquake damage in central Christchurch after a 6.3 earthquake. The old normal school corner Kilmore and Montreal (Cranmer Square).
DYERS PASS: A rock sits on Dyers Pass Road after the 6.3 earthquake.
WORCESTER ST: Earthquake damage in Central Christchurch after a 6.3 earthquake - Worcester St, East of Cathedral square.
THE PRESS: The earthquake destroyed The Press Building.
PROVINCIAL CHAMBERS: The collapsed Canterbury Provincial Chambers in central Christchurch after the 6.3 earthquake.
ARMAGH ST: Earthquake damage in Armagh St, Central Christchurch after a 6.3 earthquake.
HELP ME: Workers trapped in the Forsyth Barr building after the 6.3 earthquake, put 'help' signs in the windows of the building.
COLLAPSE: The back of the collapsed PGC building on Cambridge Terrace.
SMASHED HOUSE: A boulder falling from a hill ripped through the middle of this house in Lyttelton, which was near the epicentre of the Christchurch Earthquake on 22 February 2011.
FORSYTH BARR: Search and Rescue workers check floor by floor at the Forsyth Barr building on Colombo St.
RAJ MAHAL: The Raj Mahal restaurant on the corner of Manchester and Worcester Streets was shattered in the 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch.
INJURED MAN: A man lies injured on Manchester Street on February 22, 2011 in Christchurch, New Zealand. The 6.3 magnitude earthquake - an aftershock of the 7.1 magnitude quake on September 4 - struck 20km southeast of Christchurch at around 1pm local time.
MANCHESTER ST: Rescuers search for survivors in a collapsed building in Manchester Street on February 22, 2011 in Christchurch, New Zealand after a 6.3 earthquake.
CAR PARK: A smashed car is seen in a car parking building on February 22, 2011 in Christchurch, New Zealand after a 6.3 magnitude earthquake.
CTV BUILDING: Firemen hose down the rubble of the CTV building, which was devastated by a 6.3 magnitude earthquake in central Christchurch February 22, 2011. New Zealand declared a national state of emergency to cope with the effects of the devastating earthquake in the second biggest city - Christchurch.

The third anniversary of the February 2011 earthquake was marked by thousands of people in different ways across the globe.

More than a thousand people attended a civic memorial in the Botanic Gardens on Saturday.

Lynda Patterson, the Dean of ChristChurch Cathedral, said everyone was gathered to support "those whose grief will never fade . . . to share their pain in the hope that somehow it will be lessened".

CTV feb 22 third anniversary
REFLECTING: A woman and a child lay flowers at the CTV site in memory of the February 22 earthquake in 2011.

The Transitional Cathedral held a memorial service where the Kahikatea earthquake memorial sculpture, commissioned by Christchurch man David Bolam- Smith, was on display for the first time at the cathedral. At the CTV site, where 115 people were killed, family members laid flowers and wreaths.

For Jason Moore, whose 18-year-old daughter, Kelsey Sinitta Moore, and her 5-week-old daughter, Taneysha, died in Manchester St, yesterday's memorial was surreal, a "time vortex".

"People say it gets easier, but I don't reckon it has. It still feels like yesterday. It's still hard," he said.


Moore has a tattoo on his left shoulder, close to his heart. A picture of Kelsey with the words "Forever Young" and "Forever Tuesday" - the young mother was born on a Tuesday and died on a Tuesday. On his left forearm, Moore has Taneysha's name accompanied by two small footprints and an angel's halo.

Moore said the memorial service was bittersweet. "You realise it's not just you that's going through it," he said. "I will definitely keep coming back. I have told the boss I am never going to work on February 22 again."

Families of the quake's Japanese victims travelled to Christchurch for the occasion.

While hundreds of people joined in the 12 kilometre Run to Remember, others chose to mark the anniversary at one of the 15 River of Flowers sites along the Avon, Heathcote and Liffey rivers and at the estuary.

Christchurch man Seth Gorrie, of Avonside, created a digital map using photographs shared on social media to pinpoint spots around the world which marked the quake's anniversary.

Aside from many services held around New Zealand, the map showed the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom and Antarctica also marked the anniversary.Fairfax NZ

The Press