St Elmo Courts speedily demolished
February 22: Our new city
The much-loved St Elmo Courts were one of the first apartment complexes in the city.
The building on the corner of Hereford and Montreal St was built in 1930. The apartments were fully converted into offices in 1957.
However, the entire block was declared unsafe after the September 2010 earthquake.
It was then quickly demolished following the February 2011 quake. Being outside the central city red zone made access for demolition easy.
The new five-storey building, partially clad in copper, will be home to a large law firm and other tenants who want access to the nearby Christchurch City Council and Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority offices.
- The Press