Group ruled out of attack on tourist
Four people sought by police over the assault and robbery of a German tourist in central Christchurch have been ruled out of the investigation.
Police last week released security footage of a group of young people they wanted to speak to about the attack on the 20-year-old visitor at the Bus Exchange in Lichfield St about 1.25am on January 4.
The group was at the Bus Exchange before and after the robbery.
Three men kicked the tourist - who wanted to be known only by his first name, Soenke - and stole his belongings.
Detective Sergeant Joel Syme said the two males and two females came forward "of their own free will" after the footage was released.
None of them had seen the attack, nor was there anything to suggest they were involved.
Syme said police had security footage of the attack, but the camera was too far away to capture any images that could identify the offenders.
''You could see there was a commotion. It was reasonably brutal,'' Syme said of the attack.
Investigators still hoped to obtain better security footage from the area. No-one had come forward with suspect nominations, Syme said.
Anyone with information on the attack should phone Syme on 03 363 7400 or can provide information anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- The Press
How do you feel about the city's first anchor project, the Avon River Precinct?Related story: Vision of city by the water