Four sought after man beaten with spade

NICOLE MATHEWSON AND JOELLE DALLY
Last updated 13:03 10/03/2014
Police examine the scene of a serious assault in Linwood on Friday night.
DANIEL TOBIN
UNDER INVESTIGATION: Police examine the scene of a serious assault in Linwood on Friday night.

Relevant offers

City Centre

Nowhere for cricket fans to park City sculpture uses quake-salvaged wood CBD scene compared with 100 years ago Hospital parking problems 'nothing new' Council to fund homeless shelter Fans pack out pubs for World Cup final Avon site for quake memorial $110k to fix Botanic Gardens tea kiosk River site tipped for quake memorial Memorial hall demolition underway

Police are looking for four young people believed to have been involved in a violent assault involving a spade.

On Saturday night, a 34-year-old man suffered serious head injuries after repeated blows to the head with a spade at a Matipo St, Riccarton property.

Police believe they have identified four involved in the attack at 9.45pm and are following leads to find them.

Detective Sergeant Valyn Barrett said police are looking for a blue 1994 Subaru saloon, registration number ZH8066, which may have a "spacesaver" tyre on one of the rear wheels.

A forensic examination at that address was completed yesterday.

The victim's condition deteriorated after he arrived at hospital, but Barrett said he "improved markedly" yesterday. He did not require surgery and was now in a stable condition in hospital.

SERIOUS HEAD INJURIES IN FRIDAY NIGHT ASSAULT

The attack came just a day after a 53-year-old man was assaulted at a Pateke Pl, Bromley, address - reportedly in front of his young son - before being delivered to hospital by his alleged attacker.

A weapon may have been used.

Armed police guarded the Bromley scene during a forensic examination, which would continue today.

Detective Senior Sergeant Darryl Sweeney said the Bromley victim required surgery for his head injuries, which he described as "very bad".

Police were called to Pateke Pl about 8-9pm. The victim had already been taken away by the alleged attacker.

An arrest was made shortly after the 53-year-old was taken to the hospital's emergency department, Sweeney said.

"He wasn't dumped. He delivered him to the hospital, he was taken into the A&E."

The suspect, in his 40s, appeared in the Christchurch District Court on Saturday charged with wounding to cause grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to appear again at a later date.

Sweeney said both men knew each other. While there was not thought to be any ongoing risk to the public, police assessed that armed scene guards were "prudent".

"We've largely completed inquiries into this matter . . . we can't discount a weapon [being involved]," he said.

A vehicle was also seized.

 

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

How do you feel about the city's first anchor project, the Avon River Precinct?

Fantastic. It will transform the city

Ambivalent. The city needs more than a river precinct to recover

Not impressed. The design narrows the river

Vote Result

Related story: Vision of city by the water

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content