Port Hills homeowners get five more months
Hills and Harbour
Homeowners in the Port Hills red zone have been given an extra five months to consider the Government's offer for their land.
The Crown has offered to buy properties deemed to have an unacceptable level of life risk from rock fall and cliff collapse. Eligible red zone property owners have until August 31 to decide whether accept the offer. The extension follows another, which moved the deadline from January 31 to March 31.
Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee said the extension was a recognition of the delay in the review of zoning in the Port Hills.
The delays had been "very tough'' on affected property owners, he said.
"It's now become clear that we need to give those red-zoned property owners - particularly those whose properties have gone red in the review - more time in which to carefully consider the Crown's offer, get all the advice they need, and to make an informed decision."
Last week's review changed the zoning classification for 270 properties - with 237 properties across 96 addresses going from green to red, and 33 properties going from red to green. This brings the total number of red-zoned properties in the Port Hills to 714.
Red-zoned properties owned by the Crown or the Christchurch City Council are ineligible for the Crown offer.
Brownlee said the review panel led by Dr Keith Turner considered a large amount of information in reaching its recommendations and property owners could be confident the final decisions were thorough.
"All of the decisions were based on the safety of those property owners and their families," he said.
The first offer letters to property owners would be sent in the next week.
Brownlee said owners of uninsured properties, vacant land and commercial properties would not receive offers. The Crown was reviewing the offer process for such properties.
- © Fairfax NZ News