BBQ starts bush fire at Rapaki Bay
A bush fire casting big plumes of smoke over Rapaki Bay may have been sparked by a barbecue.
The Fire Service was notified about the blaze near Rapaki Drive, about 2.30pm.
Fire fighters from Lyttelton, Governors Bay, Lincoln and Christchurch responded, while Westpac Rescue Helicopter was placed on stand-by, a Fire Service spokesman said.
The fire was not considered to have been deliberately started.
This was the second fire in the Lyttelton Harbour basin in two days.
On Monday, a large scrub fire on the Lyttelton side of Godley Head burnt about six hectares of tussock.
The fire, which was started by boy racers letting off fireworks, flared up again yesterday, prompting the fire service to call in monsoon buckets to contain it.Today's fire at Rapaki Bay burnt close to a cemetery.