Riders make the most of the sun
With rain and a boggy track, it was hard work and dedication that allowed the Canterbury BMX Champs to run over the weekend.
One hundred and eighteen riders from around New Zealand raced around the North Canterbury BMX Club's 360 metre track in Rangiora on both Saturday and Sunday in 17 categories.
North Canterbury BMX Club president John Hansen said getting the track ready each day was hard work for organisers due to weather.
"The rain's not been our friend, aye. Pissed down Friday night, pissed down again last night. We've had to postpone both days for a couple hours."
After a lot of hard work, racing began late on Saturday and the track was "just about perfect" before the rain struck again that night, leaving organisers to do it all over again Sunday morning.
Club member Aaron Clark said track preparation had left the dedicated track maintainers with "blisters upon blisters".
"Basically we had to drag all the mud off and put dirt on to bring it up to the right level so it could be ridden on," he said.
Clark said it was lucky the club had a "track flattening device" – an old jeep with thick tires – but Sunday's racing was delayed until after midday.
There were representatives from both Dunedin and the North Island riding in the competition, who Hansen said had taken the opportunity to get extra practice in before next weekend's South Island Champs in Christchurch.
"Racings been good, good competition. The numbers aren't huge, just this time of year the people aren't here. Those that are here have done really well though."
Although the Sprockets – riders aged six and under – were not scored, the youngest riders rode well and showed the various clubs would remain competitive in years to come.
Hansen said the club was trying to make the event "bigger and bigger" each year to generate more interest in the Canterbury Champs.
- 1st – Deegan McCormick, Dunedin.
- 2nd – Camden Rutherfurd, New Plymouth.
- 3rd – Mitchell Lewis, North Avon Christchurch.
- 1st – Tahu Harman, Hamilton.
- 2nd – Rhys Heger, Dunedin.
- 3rd – Enzo Sanders, Christchurch City.
- 1st – Nick Cowie, Southland.
- 2nd – Blake Lewis, North Avon Christchurch.
- 3rd – Hugo Fischer, North Avon Christchurch.
- 1st – Lucas Bhimy, East City.
- 2nd – Seth Stylianou, North Harbour.
- 3rd – Joseph Connolly
- 1st – Amy Reddish, Christchurch City.
- 2nd – Brooke Keown, Christchurch City.
- 3rd – Olivia Keach, North Avon Christchurch.
14+ Female 20"
- 1st – Shannon Alexander, Christchurch City.
- 2nd – Melissa Were, Hawera.
- 3rd – Rayner Jackson, North Avon Christchurch.
- 1st – Jackson Gaze, North Canterbury.
- 2nd – Keagan Hoskins, Alexandra.
- 3rd – Jesse–James Green, North Avon Christchurch.
- 1st – Nic Daniels, North Canterbury.
- 2nd – Blake Day, North Canterbury.
- 3rd – Blake Murch, North Canterbury.
16–39 Male 20"
- 1st – Carlos Kershaw, Papakura.
- 2nd – Brad Blackmore, Kapiti.
- 3rd – Isaac Pulley, North Canterbury.
40+ Male 20"
- 1st – Tony Thornley, North Avon Christchurch.
- 2nd – Stephen Wood, North Avon Christchurch.
- 3rd – Mauricio Limari, North Avon Christchurch.
13–24 Cruiser Female
- 1st – Rayner Jackson, North Avon Christchurch.
- 2nd – Shannon Alexander, Christchurch City.
- 3rd – Tayla Arnold, Tauranga.
25+ Cruiser Female
- 1st – Tamryn Hurren–Webster, Dunedin.
- 2nd – Sally Davies, North Avon Christchurch.
- 3rd – Elizabeth Hovell, North Avon Christchurch.
11–39 Cruiser Male
- 1st – Jayden Walker, Christchurch City.
- 2nd – Jared Trenberth, Christchurch City.
- 3rd – Nathan Cornelius, North Avon Christchurch.
40+ Cruiser Male
- 1st – Digger Morgan, Southland.
- 2nd – Mauricio Limari, North Avon Christchurch.
- 3rd – Stephen Wood, North Avon Christchurch.