CYF not told criminal teen was in Rangiora
Child Youth and Family has admitted it did not know a 14-year-old boy with an extensive criminal history had been moved from another South Island region to a new home in Rangiora.
The boy was arrested for a sexually motivated attack on an 89-year-old woman in Rangiora on February 28.
Detective Tanya Drake said the boy approached an elderly woman in her home and asked if she had any odd jobs for him.
He went away but came back five minutes later.
On his second approach he pushed the woman into her kitchen and said "I am going to have sex with you".
He then tried to assault her but she managed to fight him off. The woman was left badly shaken and with a cut to her wrist.
The boy appeared in the Christchurch Youth Court yesterday and was remanded in CYF custody at youth justice residence Te Puna Wai o Tuhinapo. He will next appear in court on April 15.
CYF southern regional director Chris Harvey said the agency was not made aware by its provider that the boy had recently moved to Rangiora.
"We accept that the normal discussions we expect when a young person with an offending history moves did not occur on this occasion."
The incident was being taken very seriously, Harvey said. "We are working with our provider to address how this happened and to put things in place to improve communication."
Police were unaware that the boy had moved into the area, Detective Senior Sergeant Rex Barnett said.
Harvey said it was not always expected for CYF to advise police about movements of children in care.
- The Press