Serious head injuries after fight

06:25, May 24 2013
Normans Rd assault
INVESTIGATION: Police at the scene of the serious assault in Normans Rd.

Two weapons may have been used in a fight outside a Christchurch bar that left a man with serious head injuries last night.

Police have identified two suspects over the incident outside Robbies Bar and Bistro in Normans Rd, Strowan, about 7.45pm.

Up to four people were involved in the altercation, and police arrived on the scene to find a 30-year-old man with serious head injuries.

The man, who is from the North Island but has been working in Christchurch, was taken to Christchurch Hospital by ambulance, and was undergoing surgery today.

Detective Sergeant Joel Syme said two blunt instruments had been recovered by police, but it had yet to be determined whether they were used to inflict the man's injuries.

He would not be drawn on exactly what the weapons were, but discounted knives and sporting equipment.


Police had established that the fight started as those involved were leaving the premises and was related to an earlier argument in the bar's outdoor area.

''These people were not known to one another prior to last night,'' Syme said.

Verbal threats were made and ''obviously things escalated".

The fight lasted only about a minute and ended as bar staff and patrons tried to intervene.

Those involved were aged between 20 and 50.

The 30-year-old, who had been at the bar with a friend, was the only person injured.

Police had been unable to formally interview him because of his injuries but hoped to ''in the near future'', Syme said.

The man had suspected fractures to his eye socket and damage to his right eye.

Syme said police had yet to confirm the identities of the two suspects, and security footage would be reviewed. 

''It was serious. We are talking about something at one point that could have been life-threatening,'' he said.

''After further tests, it was found this wasn't the case [but] it still was a very serious assault and had the potential to be fatal.''

One man was arrested and charged with refusing to undergo the drink-driving process, but it had yet to be established whether he had any involvement in the fight.

Syme said up to 15 investigators had been working on the case today, speaking to witnesses, bar patrons and carrying out a scene examination.

They had completed an examination of a blue Nissan Nivara they were seeking sightings of earlier today.

About six officers would remain on the case in coming days.

Syme said anyone who had not already come forward should call the police on 363 7400 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Did you witness the fight? Email

The Press