Boys' High head resigns

CAROLINE KING, CHARLEY MANN AND ANNA TURNER
Last updated 14:30 12/11/2012
trevor mcintyre
DEAN KOZANIC/Fairfax NZ
RESIGNED: Christchurch Boys' High School principal Trevor McIntyre.

Related Links

CBHS hails ERO report despite it raising issues

Relevant offers

Schools

Code crackers at leading edge of IT National Standards 'designed for parents' National Standards learning from NCEA mistakes Quakes affect school decile ratings New decile rankings hit school budgets St Mark's School problems - Ministry steps in Students removed over staff friction Linwood College beset by conflict How to survive exam season PDAs a firm seasonal dilemma

Christchurch Boys' High School headmaster Trevor McIntyre has resigned.

Board of trustees chairman Mark Jordan said McIntyre had taken up the new position of executive adviser to the Greater Christchurch Education Renewal Programme. 

"The appointment is for a one-year term, but we have agreed that in the best interests of his commitment to the role, and for the long-term stability of Christchurch Boys' High, it will be best for him to resign from his position as headmaster," he said in a statement.

"While we will be sad to see him leave, we are pleased that Trevor has been rewarded for his passion for the Christchurch education sector.

"During his nine years as headmaster, Trevor has led a transformation in student culture and engagement, and his fine young man vision is a wonderful legacy."

McIntyre will take up the new role on December 3, and deputy headmaster Paul McWilliam will step in as acting headmaster.

Jordan told The Press the move was a ''positive'' one for McIntyre.

It was ''certainly not'' a similar situation to the recent sacking of Prue Taylor, the longstanding Christchurch Girl's High School principal, he said.

The school's Education Review Office (ERO) report for October identified management issues.

"Some school leadership and management issues need to be resolved to support ongoing school improvement," the report said.

It noted the board and principal worked "in partnership towards common goals".

However, "aspects of leadership and management practices require further development".

Pupils spoken to by The Press today said the new principal would have big shoes to fill.

Many were unaware McIntyre had resigned.

Only one pupil, Fraser Bell, 15, had been informed by a teacher.

He said he was "pretty upset" when he found out.

"He's a pretty good principal. He's pretty well-liked," he said.

Another, Henry Hawke, 14, said he had heard "rumours", but nothing official.

He felt it would be harder on the teachers than the pupils as some would have worked with McIntyre for a long time.

First-year pupil Javier Westerink, 14, said he was "a bit gutted" to learn that McIntyre had resigned.

"He's been here forever and knows the tradition [of the school]. It will be hard to fill his shoes," he said.

"He comes down and watches the sport [on the weekend]."

Ad Feedback

Javier described McIntyre as "strict but nice".

He felt McIntyre's resignation would hit the older pupils who had known him longer.

He was excited to see what new ideas McIntyre's replacement would bring to the school.

Brooklen Waghorn, 13, said he thought McIntyre may have taken up the new position to "help the schools" in Christchurch.

- The Press

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Do we need a ministerial review of school zones?

Yes, the zones are creating racial and social segregation.

No, don't fiddle with the market.

Vote Result

Related story: School zones cripple buyers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content