Numbers strong at school
Enrolments at Christchurch Girls' High School are up for next year, despite the controversy surrounding the school's board and principal.
Mark Smith, spokesman for a group of more than 85 parents, said many parents were questioning the reasons they chose Girls' High after the board sacked principal Prue Taylor on November 2.
However, it appears the issue has not affected enrolments.
Acting principal Peter Sawyer said year 9 enrolments were up by about 17 on last year and were close to the optimum level of 220.
Last year, the school enrolled about 200 year 9 pupils.
The school had received 10 enrolments in the past two weeks, he said.
Sawyer said the retention rate of year 10, 11 and 12 pupils was "virtually 100 per cent".
Taylor was temporarily reinstated after the Employment Relations Authority last week found there was a strong, arguable case the dismissal was unjustified.
A full hearing will be held in February.
- The Press
Do we need a ministerial review of school zones?Related story: School zones cripple buyers