Blaze at disused petrol station

02:55, Jun 16 2014
Firefighter being decontaminated
DECONTAMINATION: Firefighters were cleaned down after being exposed to possible asbestos in a burning building.

Firefighters are battling a blaze at a disused petrol station near Templeton, south of Christchurch.

A Fire Service spokesman said the fire was at the old Mobil site on Maddisons Rd, near Kirk Rd

He said it was unclear what the building was used for.

 Firefighter being decontaminated 	f
FREEZING: Firefighters were hosed down one by one.

There were concerns asbestos was in the roof of the building so the hazardous materials unit was on site, the spokesman said.

There are no reports of injuries or anyone being inside the building at the time.

The spokesman said it was too early to say what the likely cause was.

Advertisement

The Press