Tai Tapu crash killed man on his birthday

23:08, Nov 28 2013
Lindsay Sarchet
LOVING FATHER: Lindsay Sarchet was killed in a crash on his birthday.

Six-year-old Rachel Sarchet never got a chance to give her father Lindsay the birthday card she made him.

The Spreydon businessman died in Christchurch Hospital after his Toyota Supra crashed on Tai Tapu Rd, between Leadleys and Hayes roads, just after 2.30pm on Wednesday. It was his 63rd birthday.

An initial police investigation indicates Lindsay lost control of his vehicle after trying to overtake another car. His car then hit a power pole and a culvert bridge.

Close relative Dave Wilson told The Press the family was still coming to terms with the tragedy.

Wilson said Lindsay's wife of 11-years, Estela, realised something was wrong when Rachel's school rung to say he had not picked her up.

''She automatically knew something was up because Lindsay would never forget Rachel.''


He always took Rachel to school and picked her up.

Estela contacted the police, who arrived on her doorstep soon after with the bad news.

His family managed to be by his bedside for his final moments.

Wilson said he had since had to explain to Rachel her father was ''with God now'' after she asked: ''Is daddy going to have a quick recovery and come back?''

She wanted to give him his card, ''she didn't get a chance to give it to him''.

Lindsay's 36-year-old son Lee flew over from Brisbane to be with family and farewell his father.

Wilson understood Lindsay, who owned his own business L & V Auto Electrical and Marine was on the way home from seeing a client when the crash occurred.

The car and boat enthusiast was driving his modified Toyota Supra, which had reached speeds of 260km/h at drag racing events.

''It was his baby. He loved that car.''

Wilson said Lindsay had wanted a simple celebration for his birthday.

''All he wanted was his wife and daughter, KFC and a homemade chocolate cake.

''We did have the KFC for him last night, and we have a chocolate cake here now.''

Wilson said the last time he saw Lindsay was on Saturday when the pair had a beer together.

''He was happy . . . He always had a smile on his face, he was that type of person.''

The funeral for Lindsay is to be held on Wednesday, December 4.

The Press