Police shut down New Year party

Police pelted with glass as revellers trash house

Last updated 07:34 01/01/2014
Frankleigh St Party
John Kirk-Anderson

THE DAY AFTER: Police speak to the occupant of a Frankleigh St property after a New Year's Eve party got out-of-control.

Frankleigh St Party
John Kirk-Anderson
CLEAN-UP BEGINS: A person begins cleaning up after a party at a property on Frankleigh St was shut down by police.

Related Links

Christchurch welcomes 2014

Relevant offers


Govt pledge 180 'affordable' homes in Chch Delays on Lincoln Rd after vehicles collide Bananas tempt opening-day crowd Vigilance urged after armed robbery on bar Nurse killed cycling on Lincoln Rd Bargain book sale draws in bookworms Christchurch cyclist clipped by train Dairy still under threat from supermarket Tenants from hell moving out Fighting at infamous party house

LATEST: Police in full riot gear shut down a Christchurch party involving up to 200 people after some revellers began smashing windows and throwing bottles in what police described as "large scale disorder".

It was the second time in less than a week that a party at the Frankleigh St, Spreydon, address had to be shut down by police after getting out of control.

Police said 11 safety unit staff in full protective equipment and shields were called to the house about 11.30pm yesterday after the occupier requested their help.

Most of the windows of the house had been smashed by party goers. 

Up to 200 people were at the party, with some throwing glass bottles at police while the crowd was dispersed. 

Six alcohol infringement offence notices were issued and two people were arrested for disorderly assembly.

Police began preventative measures in the area about 9pm in an attempt to discourage party goers.

An observation point was placed on the address for about 50 minutes as police gathered enough evidence to gain entry, receiving about 12 calls from members of the public reporting minor disorder at the house.

However, they were not able to enter the property until the occupier called and asked for help.

Police closed down another party at the Frankleigh St property last weekend.

A large amount of glass was thrown at officers during the operation, giving police good cause to wear full protective gear during last night's incident. 

No police were injured and a statement from police issued this morning said they were confident no complaints about police actions last night would be received. 


Elsewhere in the city, revellers were largely well behaved, police said. 

Extra staff were deployed across Christchurch, Akaroa and Hanmer Springs overnight, concentrating on alcohol and disorder issues.

Police issued 18 infringement notices under the new Sale of Liquor Act for offences including liquor ban breaches and unaccompanied minors. 

Four people were also processed for drink driving at a number of checkpoints in Christchurch and 29 arrests were made for a variety of other alcohol-fuelled offences.

Police said they were pleased with the behaviour of most people, with most celebrations having been family-orientated.


Police in Nelson, Marlborough, Tasman and the West Coast were also pleased with the behaviour of New Year's revellers.

Police arrested 28 people in the Tasman and West Coast police district overnight for liquor ban breaches and disorder.

A further 33 infringement notices were issued for alcohol-related offending and nine people were arrested for assault.
A man on the West Coast jumped into the Grey River to evade police after assaulting his partner. 

The man was moderately intoxicated and floated in the strong current for a fair distance, police said.

Ad Feedback

The man disappeared from sight and a helicopter and the Coast Guard were called to help find him.

He was found about 30 minutes later and taken into police custody.

The man did not require medical treatment and was charged with common assault and escaping custody.

Marlborough police received a report of a person falling off a boat about 2.30am today, but they were recovered quickly.

Acting Tasman District Commander Inspector Steve Greally said he was happy with the noticeable change in the way people were behaving this New Year's.

"For two years running we've had relatively trouble free New Year's celebrations in our district. That's a credit to the work Police in all three areas have done to address alcohol-related offending," he said.


- © Fairfax NZ News


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content