Man charged over rottweiler attack
A man has been charged after his two rottweilers attacked an 8-year-old Christchurch boy, leaving him with facial injuries and needing plastic surgery.
The boy was attacked by two dogs belonging to his stepfather at Bromley's Linfield Park on the morning of August 17.
It was believed the child had let the dogs out for a walk when they turned on him, throwing him into the air and causing bite wounds to his face, scalp and leg.
The family voluntarily surrendered the dogs for euthanasia shortly after the attack.
A police spokesman said today that a 44-year-old Christchurch man had been charged with owning a dog causing serious injury.
The man will appear in the Christchurch District Court on October 14.
The boy's father flew to Christchurch from New Plymouth the day after the attack.
The father told The Press previously that his son would probably have long-term scarring but was "lucky to be here".
"I'm proud of my son because of how hard he's been. He's a top boy," he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Labour has promised to revamp New Brighton. What do you think?Related story: New era for New Brighton?