Assault victim still in 'critical condition'
A man assaulted outside a New Brighton party remains in a critical condition.
The man, aged in his 20s, was reportedly attacked by another man outside a party on Beresford St about 1am on Sunday.
A police spokesman said the victim was still in a critical condition in Christchurch Hospital's intensive care unit today.
A 20-year-old Christchurch man had been arrested and charged with injuring with intent following the assault.
He had since been remanded on bail to appeal in the Christchurch District Court on March 24.
A 30-year-old Christchurch man was also arrested for assault following the assault. He was due to make his first appearance in court tomorrow.
The attack happened during a busy weekend of serious violence incidents.
Police received 736 calls for help over the weekend - lower than the previous two weekends this year, but higher than the 718 calls received during the same weekend last year.
The number of serious violence incidents reported last weekend was the same as the weekend before at 11, but up on the same weekend a year ago, when police responded to nine serious violence incidents.
Inspector Derek Erasmus frontline staff had reported that the level of violence in the incidents they attended last weekend was also higher.
Incidents also appeared to be more concentrated during the Saturday night and Sunday morning period and were spread across the city, placing a higher level of demand on police time and resources, he said.
Police were still making enquiries into a reported assault outside the Sydenham Burgers and Beers restaurant about 11.45pm on Saturday.
A man in his 20s was hospitalised after reportedly being attacked by two men.
It was believed the men were known to each other or connected in some way, police said.
The victim was discharged from Christchurch Hospital on Monday.
- The Press
Labour has promised to revamp New Brighton. What do you think?Related story: New era for New Brighton?