KFC burn victim home

CATE BROUGHTON
Last updated 12:55 13/02/2013

Relevant offers

Northern Outlook

Pair found guilty of murder Savvy, but not smart Safety margin tighter Blame game over bridge Wild winds delay repair crews High water washes out bridge pier Houses flooded in Monday's big wet Flocks in need of a blast Warning over river crossing Scaffold theft irks minister

A 21-year-old KFC worker, who suffered burns to 15 per cent of his body after an accident at the Rangiora restaurant on Saturday, was discharged from hospital on Tuesday.

The incident is now under investigation by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. 

In a statement, KFC general manager Brent Kitto said the company would conduct its own investigation into the cause of the accident. 

Paramedics were called to the restaurant at 1.43pm after a reported oil vat accident, St John Ambulance district operations manager Pete Cain said. 

The injured KFC worker was taken to Christchurch Hospital with severe burns, which were treated in the intensive care unit. 

Mr Kitto said Restaurant Brands, which operates the New Zealand outlets of KFC, was "deeply concerned" that a staff member had been injured. 

"The local franchise owner is offering support to the staff member, his family and colleagues at the store." 

The store was closed after the incident and re-opened yesterday morning.

Mr Kitto said the closure allowed for checks on equipment to take place.

Department of Labour health and safety investigations can result in enforcement action or prosecution, if breaches of the Health and Safety in Employment Act are revealed.

Ad Feedback

- (Live Matches)

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content