Staunch Selwyn notch up big win

After weeks of close games in Christchurch club hockey the floodgates opened on Saturday, with an eight-goal thrashing by Selwyn the highlight.

Former Olympian Hayden Shaw scored two goals for Selwyn against HSOB-Burnside.

Selwyn dominated the first 20 minutes, scoring three quick goals before HSOB-Burnside woke up and mounted several promising attacks of their own. Had it not been for outstanding goalkeeping from Gareth Stewart, the match would have been much closer.

But with near perfect passing and trapping from Selwyn, HSOB/Burnside couldn't make an impression, going down heavily.

In other men's games, Harewood held on against Avon to take a 4-3 win.

The first half saw slick passing from Harewood who went into the break leading 3-1. Avon dominated the second half, closing the margin to one goal but couldn't quite force a draw.

University took a 2-0 win over Carlton Redcliffs with two goals to Guy Barren scored through a penalty corner and a stroke. Carlton Redcliffs had their opportunities, getting shots away, but they were well saved by University goalie Ben Smith.

HSOB-Burnside women's team won 3-1 against Harewood at Nunweek Park with a great display of tight passing and teamwork.

A turnover and a superb run down the sideline by Hazel Lund led to a goal to HSOB's Sian Fremaux in the fifth minute. HSOB were awarded three penalty corners and managed to convert the third into a goal to Amy Truscott in the 17th minute.

Harewood answered with a penalty corner and goal to Olivia Merry in the 27th minute.

Harewood goalkeeper Chloe Balderstone kept her side in the game with some stellar saves to leave the halftime score at 2-1 to HSOB.

The second half was a closer match with both teams fighting hard to score. Fremaux grabbed her second goal in the 54th minute. Harewood were awarded three penalty corners in the last five minutes but couldn't convert them into goals leaving the final score 3-1 to HSOB.

Carlton Redcliffs had a solid win against Hornby Tigers. Hornby defended well with goalkeeper Mel Harris making great saves but went down 5-1.

It was a scoreless game between Avon and Selwyn women.

The Press